Ace the Case: A 15-Year-Old Girl With Morbid Obesity
No commercial support for this activity.
Summary and References
As obesity continues to be a global health epidemic for adolescents, clinicians need to be vigilant in screening, preventing, and treating this condition. All children and adolescents should be screened annually for obesity, and when identified should be treated early. A team approach, consisting of physicians, nurses, nutritionists, and counselors, should be implemented when possible. Additionally, providers should not hesitate to refer overweight adolescents that meet criteria for bariatric surgical intervention.
- Reinehr T, et al. Definable somatic disorders in overweight children and adolescents. J Pediatr. 2007;150(6):618-22.e5.
- Styne DM, et al. Pediatric obesity-assessment, treatment, and prevention: an Endocrine Society Clinical Practice guideline. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2017;102(3):709-57.
- Skinner AC, et al. Prevalence of obesity and severe obesity in US children, 1999-2016. Pediatrics. 2018;141(3):e20173459.
- Ogden CL, et al. Differences in obesity prevalence by demographics and urbanization in US children and adolescents, 2013-2016. JAMA. 2018 ;319(23):2410-8.
- US Preventive Services Task Force, et al. Screening for obesity in children and adolescents: US Preventive Services Task Force Recommendation Statement. JAMA. 2017;317(23):2417-26.
- Cunningham SA, et al. Incidence of childhood obesity in the United States. N Engl J Med. 2014;370(5):403-11.
- Simmonds M, et al. Southampton (UK): NIHR Journals Library; 2015 Jun. (Health Technology Assessment, No. 19.43.). https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK299575. Accessed January 8, 2019.
- GBD 2015 Obesity Collaborators, et al. Health effects of overweight and obesity in 195 countries over 25 years. N Engl J Med. 2017;377(1):13-27.
- Reinehr T, et al. Body mass index patterns over 5 y in obese children motivated to participate in a 1-y lifestyle intervention: age as a predictor of long-term success. Am J Clin Nutr. 2010;91(5):1165-71.
- Spear BA, et al. Recommendations for treatment of child and adolescent overweight and obesity. Pediatrics. 2007;120(Suppl 4):S254-88.
- Barlow SE, et al. Expert committee recommendations regarding the prevention, assessment, and treatment of child and adolescent overweight and obesity: summary report. Pediatrics. 2007;120(Suppl 4):S164-92.
- Mahs D, et al. Randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial of orlistat for weight loss in adolescents. Endocr Pract. 2006;12(1):18-28.
- FDA drug safety communication: FDA recommends against the continued use of Meridia (sibutramine). October 8, 2010; US Food and Drug Administration. https://www.fda.gov/Drugs/DrugSafety/ucm228746.htm. Accessed December 10, 2018.
- O'Connor EA, et al. Screening for obesity and intervention for weight management in children and adolescents: Evidence Report and Systematic Review for the US Preventive Services Task Force. JAMA. 2017;317(23):2427-44.
- Pratt JSA, et al. ASMBS pediatric metabolic and bariatric surgery guidelines, 2018. Surg Obes Relat Dis. 2018;14(7):882-901.