Ace the Case: A 62-Year-Old Man Presents With Increasing Fatigue, Weight Loss, and Night Sweats for the Past 8 Months
There is no commercial support for this activity.
Summary and References
Therapeutic advances have been redefining the landscape for the management of CLL. Several new, targeted agents—ibrutinib, idelalisib, and venetoclax—have the potential to improve outcomes among patients with CLL. The use of these agents in either the first- or second-line setting has demonstrated significant benefits, offering patients more durable remissions and improved survival. Novel combinations of therapies currently under investigation may hold promise for further advancing CLL treatment in the future.
- Mir AA. Chronic lymphocytic leukemia (CLL). https://emedicine.medscape.com/article/199313-treatment. Accessed October 11, 2018.
- Call TG, et al. Incidence of chronic lymphocytic leukemia and high-count monoclonal B-cell lymphocytosis using the 2008 guidelines. Cancer. 2014;120(13):2000-5.
- Hallek M. Chronic lymphocytic leukemia: 2017 update on diagnosis, risk stratification, and treatment. Am J Hematol. 2017;92(9):946-65.
- Shanafelt TD, et al. Monoclonal B-cell lymphocytosis (MBL): biology, natural history and clinical management. Leukemia. 2010;24(3):512-20.
- Mowery YM, Lanasa MC. Clinical aspects of monoclonal B-cells lymphocytosis. Cancer Control. 2012;19(1):8-17.
- American Cancer Society. Key statistics for chronic lymphocytic leukemia. https://www.cancer.org/cancer/chronic-lymphocytic-leukemia/about/key-statistics.html. Accessed September 2, 2018.
- PDQ Adult Treatment Editorial Board. Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia Treatment (PDQ®): Health Professional Version. PDQ Cancer Information Summaries. Bethesda, MD: National Cancer Institute; 2016.
- Scarfo L, et al. MBL versus CLL: how important is the distinction? Hematol Oncol Clin North Am. 2013;27(2):251-65.
- Hallek M, et al. Guidelines for the diagnosis and treatment of chronic lymphocytic leukemia: a report from the International Workshop on Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia updating the National Cancer Institute Working Group 1996 guidelines. Blood. 2008;111(12):5446-56.
- Rai KK, Keating HJ. In: Cancer Medicine. 4th ed. Vol. II. Baltimore, MD: Williams and Wilkins; 1997: 2697-728.
- Binet JL, et al. A new prognostic classification of chronic lymphocytic leukemia derived from a multivariate survival analysis. Cancer. 1981;48(1):198-206.
- Rai KR, et al. Clinical staging of chronic lymphocytic leukemia. Blood. 1975;46(2):2199-234.
- Shushtik C, et al. Advances in the treatment of relapsed/refractory chronic lymphocytic leukemia. Ann Hematol. 2017;96:1185-96.
- Zenz T, et al. BCL2-938C>A polymorphism and disease progression in chronic lymphocytic leukemia. Leuk Lymphoma. 2009;50(11):1837-42.
- International CLL-IPI Working Group. An international prognostic index for patients with chronic lymphocytic leukaemia (CLL-IPI): a meta-analysis of individual patient data. Lancet Oncol. 2016;17(6):779-90.
- ASH Clinical News. CLL-IPI: a new international staging system for chronic lymphocytic leukemia. ASH Clinical News. https://www.ashclinicalnews.org/news/cll-ipi-a-new-international-staging-system-for-chronic-lymphocytic-leukemia/. Accessed September 2, 2018.
- Hallek M, et al. Addition of rituximab to fludarabine and cyclophosphamide in patients with chronic lymphocytic leukaemia: a randomized, open-label, phase 3 trial. Lancet. 2010;376(9747):1164-74.
- Robak T, et al. Front-line treatment of CLL in the era of novel agents. Cancer Treat Rev. 2017;53:70-8.
- Strati P, et al. Myelosuppression after frontline fludarabine, cyclophosphamide, and rituximab in patients with chronic lymphocytic leukemia: analysis of persistent and new-onset cytopenia. Cancer. 2013;119(21):3805-11.
- Eichhorst B, et al. First-line chemoimmunotherapy with bendamustine and rituximab versus fludarabine, cyclophosphamide, and rituximab in patients with advanced chronic lymphocytic leukaemia (CLL-10): an international, open-label, randomized, phase 3, non-inferiority trial. Lancet Oncol. 2016;17(7):928-42.
- Hillmen P, et al. Ofatumumab + chlorambucil versus chlorambucil alone in patients with untreated chronic lymphocytic leukemia (CLL): results of the phase III study complement 1 (OMB110911). Blood. 2013;122(21):528.
- Goede V, et al. Obinutuzumab plus chlorambucil in patients with CLL and coexisting conditions. N Engl J Med. 2014;370(12):1101-10.
- Herman SE, et al. Brunton tyrosine kinase represents a promising therapeutic target for treatment of chronic lymphocytic leukemia and is effectively targeted by PCI-32765. Blood. 2011;117(23):6287-96.
- Fuerst, ML. Combination of ibrutinib & venetoclax shows promise in previously treated CLL. Oncology Times. 2018;40(3):30.
- Imbruvica® Prescribing Information. Horsham, PA: Janssen Biotech, Inc.; 2018.
- Burger JA, et al. Ibrutinib as initial therapy for patients with chronic lymphocytic leukemia. N Engl J Med. 2015;373:2425-37.
- Davids MS, et al. A multicenter phase II study of ibrutinib plus FCR (iFCR) as frontline therapy for younger CLL patients. Presented at: 59th American Society of Hematology Annual Meeting; December 9-12, 2017; Atlanta, Georgia. Abstract 496.
- Olin JL, et al. New pharmacotherapies in chronic lymphocytic leukemia. PT. 2017;42(2):106-15.
- Maddocks KJ, et al Etiology of ibrutinib therapy discontinuation and outcomes in patients with chronic lymphocytic leukemia. JAMA Oncol. 2015;1(1):80-7.
- Byrd JC, et al. Acalabrutinib (ACP-196) in relapsed chronic lymphocytic leukemia. N Engl J Med. 2016;374(4):323-32.
- Byrd JC, et al. Ibrutinib versus ofatumumab in previously treated chronic lymphoid leukemia. N Engl J Med. 2014;371(13):213-23.
- Zidelig® Prescribing Information. Foster City, CA: Gilead Sciences. Inc.; 2016.
- Furman RR, et al. Idelalisib and rituximab in relapsed chronic lymphocytic leukemia. N Engl J Med. 2014;370(112):997-1007.
- Jones JA, et al. Efficacy and safety of idelalisib in combination with ofatumumab for previously treated chronic lymphocytic leukaemia: an open-label, randomized phase 3 trial. Lancet Haematol. 2017;4(3):e114-e126.
- Chanan-Khan A, et al. Ibrutinib combined with bendamustine and rituximab compared with placebo, bendamustine, and rituximab for previously treated chronic lymphocytic leukaemia or small lymphocytic lymphoma (HELIOS): a randomized, double-blind, phase 3 study. Lancet Oncol. 2016;17(2):200-11.
- Zelentz AD, et al. Idelalisib or placebo in combination with bendamustine and rituximab in patients with relapsed/refractory CLL – interim results of a phase 3 randomized, double-blind placebo-controlled trial. Lancet Oncol. 2017;18(3):297-311.
- Stilgenbauer S, et al. Veneclotax in relapsed or refractory chronic lymphocytic leukaemia with 17p deletion: a multicenter, open-label, phase 2 study. Lancet Oncol. 2016;17():768-78.
- King AC, et al. Venetoclax: a first-in-class oral BCL-2 inhibitor for the management of lymphoid malignancies. Ann Pharmacother. 2017;51(5):410-6.
- VenclextaTM Prescribing Information. North Chicago, IL: AbbVie Inc.; 2016.
- Seymour JF, et al. Bcl-2 inhibitor ABT-199 (GDC-0199) monotherapy shows anti-tumor activity including complete remissions in high-risk relapsed/refractory (R/R) chronic lymphocytic leukemia (CLL) and small lymphocytic lymphoma (SLL). Blood. 2013;122:872.
- Roberts AW, et al. Targeting BCL2 with venetoclax in relapsed chronic lymphocytic leukemia. N Engl J Med. 2016;374(4):311-22.
- ASH 2017: MURANO trial: venetoclax found superior to standard chemotherapy when combined with rituximab in CLL. http://www.ascopost.com/News/58358. Accessed 10/1/2018.
- Jones JA, et al. Veneclotax for chronic lymphocytic leukaemia progressing after ibrutinib: an interim analysis of a multicenter, open-label, phase 2 trial. Lancet Oncol. 2018;19(1):65-75.
- Chen CI, et al. Single-agent lenalidomide in the treatment of previously untreated chronic lymphocytic leukemia. J Clin Oncol. 2011;29(9):1175-81.
- Wendtner CM, et al. Safety and efficacy of different lenalidomide starting doses in patients with relapsed or refractory chronic lymphocytic leukemia: results of an international multicenter double-blinded randomized phase II trial. Leuk Lymphoma. 20016;57(6):1291-9.
- Thompson PA, et al. Lenalidomide and rituximab in combination as initial treatment of chronic lymphocytic leukemia: initial results of a phase II study. Blood. 2014;124(21):1988.
- Chavez JC, et al. Results of a phase II study of lenalidomide and rituximab for refractory/relapsed chronic lymphocytic leukemia. Leuk Res. 2016;47:78-83.