ROCK-solid Inhibition in Glaucoma Therapy
This activity is supported by an educational grant from Aerie Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
You passed! Review the answers below.
Please try again. The questions you answered incorrectly are highlighted in red below.
The correct answer is B.
Rationale: Netarsudil works by the following mechanisms:
Rho Kinase Inhibitor
1. Increases trabecular outflow
- Relax TM smooth muscle actin and myosin
- Induce cell rounding and cell-cell detachment
- Widen extracellular spaces in TM and juxtacanalicular tissue
2. Decreases episcleral venous pressure
- Dilates episcleral veins
3. Decreases aqueous production
- Blocks reuptake of norepinephrine, enhances endogenous norepinephrine signaling
Kazemi, A et al. J Ocul Pharmacol Ther. 2018;34(5):380-6.
Kopczynski CC, et al. J Ocul Pharmacol Ther. 2014;30(2-3):85-7.
Wang RF, et al. J Glaucoma. 2015;24(1):51-4.
The correct answer is C.
Rationale: IOP-lowering effect of netarsudil 0.02% is independent of baseline IOP.
The correct answer is A.
Rationale: Significantly more patients treated with netarsudil ophthalmic solution 0.02% had a ≥20% reduction in IOP than patients treated with timolol in the groups of patients with baseline IOPs <22 mmHg or <23 mmHg.