Ace the Case: A 55-Year-Old Woman With Bilateral Hand Pain
There is no commercial support for this activity.
Summary and References
Osteoarthritis is the most common type of arthritis and can lead to chronic disability.2 This patient is an older woman with predominant symptoms in her PIPs and DIPs, which are frequently seen in patients with hand OA. She has mild morning stiffness and no personal history of inflammatory bowel disease nor any gastrointestinal symptoms, making an underlying inflammatory arthritis unlikely. Both types of arthritis can share features and symptoms can overlap, making the diagnosis difficult to make. Osteoarthritis is no longer considered only a “wear and tear” arthritis because inflammatory mediators likely play a key role in the pathogenesis of OA.
- Bijsterbosch J, et al. Thumb base involvement in symptomatic hand osteoarthritis is associated with more pain and functional disability. Ann Rheum Dis. 2010;69:585-7.
- van Saase JL, et al. Epidemiology of osteoarthritis: Zoetermeer survey. Comparison of radiological osteoarthritis in a Dutch population with that in 10 other populations. Ann Rheum Dis. 1989;48:271-80.
- Allen KD, et al. Daily pain variations among patients with hand, hip, and knee osteoarthritis. Osteoarthritis Cartilage. 2009;17:1275-82.
- Blagojevic M, et al. Risk factors for onset of osteoarthritis of the knee in older adults: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Osteoarthritis Cartilage. 2010;18:24-33.
- Liu-Bryan R, Terkeltaub R. Emerging regulators of the inflammatory process in osteoarthritis. Nat Rev Rheumatol. 2015;11:35-44.
- Yu SP, Hunter DJ. Emerging drugs for the treatment of knee osteoarthritis. Expert Opin Emerg Drugs. 2015;20:361-78.
- Liu-Bryan R, Terkeltaub R. The growing array of innate inflammatory ignition switches in osteoarthritis. Arthritis Rheum. 2012;64:2055-8.
- Hayashi D, et al. Imaging for osteoarthritis. Ann Phys Rehabil Med. 2016;59:161-9.
- Cooper C, et al. Epidemiology of osteoarthritis. Medicographia. 2013;35:145-51.
- Bellamy N, et al. Clinimetric properties of the AUSCAN Osteoarthritis Hand Index: an evaluation of reliability, validity and responsiveness. Osteoarthritis Cartilage. 2002;10:863-9.
- Hunter DJ. Focusing osteoarthritis management on modifiable risk factors and future therapeutic prospects. Ther Adv Musculoskelet Dis. 2009;1:35-47.
- Kloppenburg M, et al. 2018 update of the EULAR recommendations for the management of hand osteoarthritis. Ann Rheum Dis. 2019;78:16-24.
- Ikeda M, et al. Custom-made splint treatment for osteoarthritis of the distal interphalangeal joints. J Hand Surg Am. 2010;35:589-93.
- Watt FE, et al. Night-time splinting of the distal interphalangeal joint reduces pain and improves extension at the joint: results from the splint-OA study. Osteoarthritis Cartilage. 2013;21:S25-6.
- McAlindon TE, et al. OARSI guidelines for the non-surgical management of knee osteoarthritis. Osteoarthritis Cartilage. 2014;22:363-88.
- Derry S, et al. Topical NSAIDs for chronic musculoskeletal pain in adults. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2016;4:CD007400.